Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Flurry of Posts!

Now that I'm on break from school, I MAY have more posts than usual for awhile. Today I will post a few of my favorite photos. Just a little taste of what I've been working on. You may notice that most of my photos are of my son. He, of course, is my favorite model :). He has been one of the biggest inspirations to improve my photography skills. I LOVE being able to have great photos of him without having to pay a fortune!

I've focused most of my attention on capturing candid moments of people, particularly children. And although I most enjoy taking pictures of people, I want to improve my landscape and still life photography. I have much respect for photographers who can turn an outdoor scene or a plate of food into a work of art! It's a skill I have yet to master.

That being said-on to the photos!



These two photos show my attempts at forced perspective. I have found this skill to be particualarly hard to learn, but I'm getting better! The hardest thing for me is trying to get my three year old to hold still long enough to get the shot the way I want it! Model: Brandon

One of my specialties! Motion photography. It seems easy enough, but to catch a kid in motion on a bike, running, chasing a ball, and have a CLEAR photo-is tough! I've worked and worked on this skill and think I'm pretty good at it. Model: Melania


These two photos are indicating a lesson I've learned over time. While I knew how the second photo would turn out, I took it anyway, just to have a clear picture of my son cheezing it up with his pumpkin. But the first photo can be difficult to take if you are just starting. I know it was for me! To capture that, I turned off the flash, but to accomplish a clear photo-be prepared to hold steady! No flash means you are more likely to come out blurry with the slighest of movements. While the picture has room for improvement, I think it's a good example of how to take a picture in the dark! Model: Brandon



Here's some examples of the most basic and perhaps most important lesson I've learned on my photography journey! CHECK YOUR BACKGROUND! Always make sure that your background isnot busy or distracting from the subject. I mean, who wants a porta-potty in their pumpkin patch pictures? In the second shot, I feel the ambulance distracts from the subject, my son checking out pumpkins. The last photo wins in my book! A background that fits the subject and doesn't take away from the focus! Note-some of these MAY have been taken by my hubby. Model: Brandon

These aren't perfect by any means, but certainly an improvement for me! I have trouble with pictures in the dark and catching a face in the light provided (candle, firework, etc). But these two are good ones, catching the subjects in the light! Models: Brandon, Gail, Alex

This is an example of two things for me. ZOOM and PATIENCE! One thing that I found gets great pics is to zoom in close to your target! When I take pics of animals (or kids) I zoom in close, wait, and snap snap snap! One of them will turn out good! If you are patient enough, you will catch the perfect pose! Model: Zoo Atlanta gorilla

This picture IS edited with lilghting adjustments, but
the ZOOM was natural and effective! Models: Brandi, Alex



These are just a few of my fav black and white photos. It's taken a lot of practice and patience to get clear black and white photos, not blurry ones! Models: Brandon, Melania, Jack

So that's it for today. I hope you enjoyed and maybe learned something from my trial and error! Comments and advice are welcomed! Please also check out my flickr account with more photos that I love! http://www.flickr.com/photos/psychick22/  I will probably post more pics this week of other topics and subjects!

Note: All photos taken with Canon PowerShot SX110 IS. Photos are not edited, unless noted.  Also, I'm not a professional, I'm very much an amatuer trying to get better and teach others what I've learned. Any mistakes I make doing that is unintentional and I appreciate any feedback!

"Do what you love."

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart comments! Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!