Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thankful Thursday #1

In what feels like a "Get to Know Nicole," I tell the top ten things I'm thankful for this week.

Top 10 this week (in no particular order):

1) My son. Two days ago, my precious boy turned 4! I'm so thankful that he is happy and healthy and playful and smart and, well...you get the point. I have been blessed with a super, awesome kid that God made just for me to raise. He is exactly what I need. Just the right amount of nice and just the right amount of naughty.

Kenny and I on our 4th wedding anniversary


2) My husband, Kenny. Ok, I admit it. I take him for granted. He takes care of us, provides for us, sacrifices so he can spoils us. He is a good father, a strong support, and a major factor in my growth. And too I often forget how lucky I am to have him.
3) People and/or events that provide an eye-opening experience. Sometimes people or events come into our lives to make us realize the things we should be THANKFUL for. It's important to not only recognize these things for what they are, but to be thankful for them as well. I have recently had people come into my life that have made me realize how good I've got it, particularly related to my husband.

4) Photography. My stress reliever! No matter what I'm stressing about, 9 out of 10 times, photography will help me forget it for awhile. Picking up that camera and looking for art in the world, helps me relax and focus on the beauty around me.

5) My job. As stressful, angering, and saddening as my job can be, I have learned so much about people, about myself, and about the world. I have been humbled by the lives of my patients, their struggles, their successes. And I have grown in ways I never thought possible, simply by walking into that building everyday.

6) Cozy socks! Ok, this may seem silly. But these warm, fuzzy socks just make my life better. No, seriously. And not just because my hubby likes it cold and I'm too cold all the time. But there is just a real since of comfort when I slide those socks on. It's almost as good as a hot bath.

7) Facebook. Yea, I know, there's plenty of things about this social networking thing that we should NOT be thankful for. However, there is some good in it that I'm thankful for. I recently found out what my favorite thing about facebook is. After the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan, I worried about a friend who lives there. I had no clue how to contact her, aside from facebook (and skype), to see if her and her family were ok. When I signed on and she had posted a reassuring message that they were fine and far away from the affected areas, a weight was lifted off. How THANKFUL I (and many others!) were to see that. And love it or hate it, Facebook provided us with that.

8) Misty. Could God have provided me with a better friend and confidant? I think not! She listens to me rant and rave about whatever particular issue is on my mind at the time. And I'm sure she gets tired of listening to me sometimes, but she never shows it. She gives me great advice, "therapizing" as needed, tough love (also as needed), and a friendship that survives distance and time. My goal is always to be as good of a friend to her as she is to me. Personally, I don't think I'm up to par, but I try!

9) Photo Challenges! I haven't done too many so far. But since I started When You Wish Upon A Star, I've discovered many! I've got them all mapped out and try to do at least one a week. These events have inspired and challenged me and my photography skills. It's exactly what I wanted! So let me give a big shout out and thanks to the bloggers at I Should Be Folding Laundry, The Paper Mama, The Long Road to China, Twisted Fate Photography, I Heart Faces, and Trendy Treehouse for providing motivation and creative ways to improve our photography!

When You Wish Upon A Star
10) This blog! I never thought I could be a blogger. I've tried in the past, but my daily ramblings on life were boring me. I started looking at blogs again and realized a common theme. The most successful and fun to read blogs are ones where the blogger talks about things they enjoy, whatever it may be! So I thought, well, what do I love? What do I do that is interesting and other people would enjoy hearing about? It hit like a bolt of lighting out of nowhere. Photography, of course. And so I changed my blog and When You Wish Upon A Star was created. And though slightly stressful, I love the opportunity to share what I love and get feedback on how to do it better. I'm thankful for every comment. And I'm so thankful to the community of photography mom bloggers out there. I realized I'm a part of a large group of very talented women who can teach me so much! It felt good to find my place and be a part of something that I think is important and valid. So thank you bloggers for your support and teaching!

And that's a wrap.

WOW! I had a lot to say. If you survived this super, long blog post- Thank you for reading. Now, you deserve a nap!

Oh, and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Nicole

For future reference, I will shorten these Thankful posts in the future! I guess this was a long way to get to know me and next time, I'll keep it short and sweet :)



2 comments:

  1. way to blog! write write write.

    i have those same awesome socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I enjoyed your post. I too have tried blogging before and stopped and then started again realizing that the best part is just writing what you love. :)

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments! Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!