Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Macro Photography

Happy Tuesday everyone!


I wasn't going to post today, but once I took a look at these pics on the big screen, I got excited! I think they turned out really good! They were not that impressive on the camera viewer, but on the big screen I was in for a nice surprise.


Today's topic will be macro! "Macro photography is close-up photography of usually very small objects. (via wikipedia)." I've been working on this skill for awhile. It's still kind of hit or miss for me. Any tips from more experienced folks is much appreciated! However, the below photos turned out really well. I'm very happy with the results! Hope you like caterpillars!


These first two shots are a little of the back story. The inspiration for these pics came from the first photo. This has happened to me once before at the house I grew up in. Has anyone else experienced this before?


We have a caterpillar takeover! These little critters were all over this tree in our front yard. I easily count twelve and that was just one part of the tree!

This second photo was the other inspiration. Digger used to hold caterpillars with no problem. Now that he's a little older, he's gotten a little chicken about it. 

It took much encouragement, but he finally did it!

Now to the macro photos! I'm really happy with them!

I really like this one. This fat little guy was just hanging out on a little stick all by himself, just waiting for me to snap a picture, I'm sure. :)


This little guy/girl (how do you know the difference? anyone know?) stuck around for a long time. Quite fiesty!




This one is my favorite! Love the detail, the color, the sunshine! If I had to pick my 'sweet shot', this would be it!






I like this one a lot too! I wish the face was a little clearer, but overall pretty good!



For those of you new to macro photography, most cameras come with a macro setting (the little flower). Set your camera to this mode and zoom in close! My camera also lets me know if I'm zoomed in TOO CLOSE to use macro. I'm certainly no expert at this technique. All I can advise is try different things and keep practicing! I would also recommend at first practicing with still objects and then go on to moving things, such as caterpillars!

I'm entering these photos as a late entry in Macro Monday at Lisa's Chaos and also Sweet Shot Tuesdays at My3BoyBarians (links below).


 Sweet Shot Day

Have a great week!

Nicole


2 comments:

  1. Great shots Nicole. I would be afraid to hold one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your sweet shot pic. That one just has something special. :)

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments! Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!